Wednesday, May 19, 2010

The Blogging Revolution by Antony Loewenstein


Image taken from www.mup.com.au


Every now and then I find a work of non-fiction that takes my interest. This book I found inside the bookshop at my uni. I thought it would make an interesting read, seeing as I have (obviously) taken an interest in blogging myself, and wanted to know how useful blogging is. I was not disappointed with this read...

"The Blogging Revolution" details the author's journey into various countries such as Iran, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, etc. and investigates how bloggers from these countries use their blogs to promote awareness of issues their governments do not wish the general public to know about. It is - as the back cover suggests - "a superb examination of the nature of repression in the twenty-first century and the power of brave individuals who overcome it."

The stories of these brave individuals and the sacrifices they make to have their stories made known to the world really impressed me, and made me think about the way I use my blog pages. It made me gain a deeper appreciation of the power of the written word, and of online communication. Some of these individuals' blog sites are listed at the back of the book for the reader to look up and follow, and I have added myself as a follower on some of them.

I can't impress strongly enough the impact this book as made in my thinking of how I share information online, and I strongly recommend this book to anyone who is interested in learning about blogging.

No comments:

Post a Comment